23 years ago I bought my dream synthesizer, an Oberheim OB-8. 2 months later, being out of work and out of money, I had to sell it. I've regretted it every single day since then. Yesterday the regret was brought to a close.
I finally have another one! There's lots to write about this but I don't know if I will have the energy. The air conditioning in my office is not working and it's really hot in here and hard to concentrate.
This one was listed 2 weeks ago. The guy wanted $2500 for it. Bids only reached $1300. He also wanted local pickup only and he's in coburg, over an hour away so I passed. But last week he relisted it for quick sale. I was about to buy a Roland Gaia sh-01 and the email came in from ebay showing the new oberheim listings. I almost didn't even click.
He was now starting at $1200 and there was no reserve. Since there was a problem and it was in canada I felt it would sell fairly cheap and that I could fix the problem myself and finally have an OB-8. The auction was for some reason set for only 1 day.
The next morning I bid. I bid really high because I decided I didn't want to be outbid again and this would be a good way to get one (damaged and local). Amazingly there was only one more bid in the last 30 seconds and it wasn't very high. Still though, for some reason I get VERY nervous at the end of auctions!
As usual the guy was a dick and didn't reply to my messages. I waited from friday morning until tuesday morning then thought I'd ask what was going on. He said he was waiting until the money was in his bank account first. Then he said he would deliver it himself. Fine by me.
Also note, he added $250 for shipping and said he would refund the difference. When he delivered it he made no mention of that. Again, fine by me but he was pretty quiet and not really up front about it and that is always really annoying. He tried to tell me that it would be at least a 4 hour round trip to deliver it, I'm sure to justify keeping all the money. The truth is, even my google maps it's only a 1h20m trip one way.
Anyway, as I suspected there was a LOT of things wrong with it. A bunch of keys didn't work well, one voice is dead, all the switches are pretty worn out, I think MIDI is not functioning, plus the 2 stuck pots he mentioned.
After 4 hours of working on it last night I got most of it working and cleaned up. I removed more dust than I've ever seen before and got the switches working a lot better; cleaned the keyboard contacts and got the keyboard working perfectly; fixed those 2 stuck pots just by turning them with a pair of pliers. Although most switches are still in bad shape and the one voice is still dead it's working pretty well now. I'm very happy with it. I'll take it to Patrick at Teletech to fix the voice, calibrate it, and see about replacing some switches. Maybe the midi too if it isn't working.
So, all in all, I'm pretty darned happy about this! It's so nice to finally close that long chapter of my life where I had to live without an OB-8!